|AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTRY SCIENCES
|VEGETABLE CROP PRODUCTION
|INDEPENDENT TEACHING ACTIVITIES
|TEACHING HOURS PER WEEK
|Lectures and laboratory course
|LANGUAGE (TEACHING AND EXAMS)
|THE COURSE IS OFFERED TO ERASMUS STUDENTS
|COURSE WEBSITE (URL)
- TEACHING OUTCOMES
|Students obtain basic knowledge of the science and the cultivation techniques of the main vegetable species produced in Greece.
|§ Independent work
§ Literature search, data analysis and synthesis
§ Development of inductive reasoning
- COURSE CONTENT
|Introduction to vegetable crop growing (basic principles, quality and nutritional value of vegetables, vegetable production worldwide and nationally)
• Classification and botanical characters
• Influence of soil and aerial environment on vegetable crops
• Outdoor vegetable growing techniques
• Growing vegetables in the greenhouse
• Hydroponic cultivation of vegetables
• Vegetable propagation
• Vegetable crop establishment
• Irrigation and fertilization of vegetables
• Other cultivation treatments (weed control, frost protection, climate control in the greenhouse, application of plant growth regulators, pruning, fruit setting in the greenhouse)
• Harvesting and post-harvest treatments of vegetables.
- TEACHING AND LEARNING ASSESSMENT METHODS
|§ Power point, videos
(25-hour workload per credit unit)
|Presentations of assignments and written exams at the end of the semester. Exams on practical courses include identification of vegetable seeds.
- PROPOSED LITERATURE
More literature sources will be available to the students during the semester.