|AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTRY SCIENCES
|LEVEL OF STUDIES
|1st / 3rd /5th
|GENERAL &INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
|INDEPENDENT TEACHING ACTIVITIES
|TEACHING HOURS PER WEEK
|Lectures and laboratory course
|LANGUAGE (TEACHING AND EXAMS)
|THE COURSE IS OFFERED TO ERASMUS STUDENTS
|COURSE WEBSITE (URL)
- TEACHING OUTCOMES
|The science of chemistry has made a decisive contribution to the development of specialized disciplines such as agricultural chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, geochemistry and more. The choice of subjects, the way of teaching and the extent of the deepening of this course are completely oriented and harmonized with the learning objectives of the Department. As a result of the successful completion of the course on the one hand, potential gaps in students’ knowledge from their secondary education will be filled and, more importantly, they will become familiar with new issues concerning fundamental principles of other courses in this department. In particular, in-depth knowledge of the structure and behavior of the material will be acquired either as pure compounds or as solutions. In essence, it is a precursor of knowledge that helps to ensure a smooth transition for first-year students to pursue their scientific specialization in Agriculture. The practical part of the course, which undertakes to initiate and train students on how to operate a laboratory from the most basic issues (safety rules, how to handle reagents) to specialized (qualitative and quantitative analysis), is crucial to the above. In this way, students will be prepared for the multitude of workshops that will follow in the following semesters.
Overall, on successful completion of the course students will be able to:
|§ Independent work
§ Literature search, data analysis, and synthesis
§ Development of inductive reasoning
3. COURSE CONTENT
The course deals with issues related to basic principles and knowledge of the field of Inorganic Chemistry and specifically analyzes and selects the following subjects:
- Periodicity and the Chemistry of the Elements, the Atom, the Rutherford and Bohr theory.
- The Newest Quantum Mechanics Theory-Molecular orbital theory in simple molecules.
- Electronic Structure and Properties of atom-Transition Metal Coordination Chemistry.
- Chemical Bond: Ionic and Covalent Bond.
- Bonding Models-Ionic bonding in solids
- Liquid and Solid State Chemistry.
- Chemical thermodynamics (Enthalpy – Free energy – Gibbs equation)-Chemical Kinetics.
- Chemical equilibrium.
- Acids and Bases.
- Ionic equilibrium- (Salts, acids, bases – Precipitates)-Volumetric analysis.
- Introduction to coordination number and shape of metal complexes-Ligands and ligand preferences-Metal-ligand bonding theory
- TEACHING AND LEARNING ASSESSMENT METHODS
|§ Powerpoint, videos
(25-hour workload per credit unit)
|In order to pass this course, each student must complete all of the following compulsory requirements:
Laboratory experiments and reports, oral and written examination in the lab.
Formal examination (mid-semester and final written examinations).
- PROPOSED LITERATURE
|«Βασικές Αρχές Ανόργανης Χημείας», των Γ. Πνευματικάκη – Χ. Μητσοπούλου – Κ. Μεθενίτη.
ANNEX OF THE COURSE OUTLINE
Alternative ways of examining a course in emergency situations
|Teacher (full name):
|Tel: +00352552041168, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Evaluation methods: (2)
|Written and oral examination with distance learning methods, provided that the integrity and reliability of the examination are ensured.
|Implementation Instructions: (3)
|Students will be examined with the distance learning method through the eclass platform concerning written examination, while the oral examination will be performed through the Microsoft Teams platform also with the distance learning method.
Students’ positive identification will be ensured by showing on camera their institutional credentials through MsTeams platform while they will participate in the oral examination procedure in groups of five persons each time. Furthermore, the writing examination procedure will occur through the eclass platform, where students will be able to participate by joining the appropriate exercise found in eclass, with their institutional passwords. The aforementioned exercise will be in the form of a number of multiple questions that have to be completed in a specific time period. It should be noted that for any answer, right or wrong will be a positive or a negative grade respectively.
- Please write YES or NO
- Note down the evaluation methods used by the teacher, e.g.
- written assignment or/and exercises
- written or oral examination with distance learning methods, provided that the integrity and reliability of the examination are ensured.
- In the Implementation Instructions section, the teacher notes down clear instructions to the students:
- a) in case of written assignment and / or exercises: the deadline (e.g. the last week of the semester), the means of submission, the grading system, the grade percentage of the assignment in the final grade and any other necessary information.
- b) in case of oral examination with distance learning methods: the instructions for conducting the examination (e.g. in groups of X people), the way of administration of the questions to be answered, the distance learning platforms to be used, the technical means for the implementation of the examination (microphone, camera, word processor, internet connection, communication platform), the hyperlinks for the examination, the duration of the exam, the grading system, the percentage of the oral exam in the final grade, the ways in which the inviolability and reliability of the exam are ensured and any other necessary information.
- c) in case of written examination with distance learning methods: the way of administration of the questions to be answered, the way of submitting the answers, the duration of the exam, the grading system, the percentage of the written exam of the exam in the final grade, the ways in which the integrity and reliability of the exam are ensured and any other necessary information.
There should be an attached list with the Student Registration Numbers only of students eligible to participate in the examination.