|SCHOOL||AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTRY SCIENCES|
|COURSE CODE||FOOD1004||SEMESTER||6th and 8th|
|COURSE TITLE||Food Biotechnology|
|INDEPENDENT TEACHING ACTIVITIES
|TEACHING HOURS PER WEEK||ECTS|
|Lectures and laboratory course||4||5|
|LANGUAGE (TEACHING AND EXAMS)||Greek|
|THE COURSE IS OFFERED TO ERASMUS STUDENTS||Yes (in English)|
|COURSE WEBSITE (URL)||https://eclass.duth.gr/courses/OPE01133/
- TEACHING OUTCOMES
|After this course the students will be able to
(i) understand the main principles of Food Biotechnology and the colligation with other courses such as Food Chemistry.
(ii) get the necessary knowledge in order to evaluate the problems of consumers health that Food Biotechnology deals with such as the consumption of genetically modified foods
|§ Independent work
§ Literature search, data analysis and synthesis
§ Development of inductive reasoning
3. COURSE CONTENT
1. Basic principles of Food Biotechnology.
4. Immobilized enzymes and cells (Part A).
5. Immobilized enzymes and cells (Part B).
6. Genetically Modified Microorganisms – Applications (Part A).
7. Genetically Modified Microorganisms – Applications (Part B) .
8. Bioconversions (Part A).
9. Bioconversions (Part B) .
10. Functional foods
11. Probiotic microorganisms
12. Innovative foods
13. Food and environmental biotechnology
- TEACHING AND LEARNING ASSESSMENT METHODS
|DELIVERING METHOD||In classroom|
|IT USE||§ Power point, videos
|TEACHING ORGANIZATION||Activity||Semester workload
|Individual written assignments||28|
(25-hour workload per credit unit)
|Mid-semester and final written examinations.|
- PROPOSED LITERATURE
|Ravishankar Rai V. 2016. Advances in Food Biotechnology, Wiley-Blackwell.|