- COURSE OUTLINE
SCHOOL AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTRY SCIENCES DEPARTMENT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT LEVEL OF STUDIES 7 COURSE CODE FOOD0018 SEMESTER 6th
COURSE TITLE Food Packaging TEACHING ACTIVITIES
If the ECTS Credits are distributed in distinct parts of the course e.g. lectures, labs etc. If the ECTS Credits are awarded to the whole course, then please indicate the teaching hours per week and the corresponding ECTS Credits.
TEACHING HOURS PER WEEK ECTS CREDITS Lectures and laboratory course 5 5 Please, add lines if necessary. Teaching methods and organization of the course are described in section 4. COURSE TYPE
Background, General Knowledge, Scientific Area, Skill Development
Scientific area PREREQUISITES: – TEACHING & EXAMINATION LANGUAGE: Greek COURSE OFFERED TO ERASMUS STUDENTS: No COURSE URL: http://www.agro.duth.gr/undergraduate/record/FOOD0018.shtml
- LEARNING OUTCOMES
Learning Outcomes Please describe the learning outcomes of the course: Knowledge, skills and abilities acquired after the successful completion of the course. · Understand the importance of packaging in food production, preservation and distribution.
· Familiarize with the various packaging materials.
· Comprehend the methods used to study the interactions between the packaging materials and food content.
· To be aware for the environmental impact from food packaging
General Skills Name the desirable general skills upon successful completion of the module Search, analysis and synthesis of data and information,
Adaptation to new situations
Working in an international environment
Working in an interdisciplinary environment
Production of new research ideas
Project design and management
Equity and Inclusion
Respect for the natural environment
Demonstration of social, professional and moral responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues
Promoting free, creative and inductive reasoning
· Independent and team work
· Search, analysis and synthesis of data and information, ICT Use
· Development of inductive reasoning
· Critical thinking
- COURSE CONTENT
1. Introduction in food packaging (History, purpose)
2. Properties of materials used in food packaging
7. Aseptic packaging
8. Safety, durability
9. Interaction of food packaging materials with the food
10. Methods of food packaging
11. Active & intelligent packaging
12. Environmental perspectives
13. Trends and innovation in food packaging
- LEARNING & TEACHING METHODS – EVALUATION
Face to face, Distance learning, etc.
Face to face (distance learning in emergency situations) USE OF INFORMATION & COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
Use of ICT in Teaching, in Laboratory Education, in Communication with students
MS Power point
Statistical and Curve fitting software
MS Teams for distance learning
The ways and methods of teaching are described in detail.
Lectures, Seminars, Laboratory Exercise, Field Exercise, Bibliographic research & analysis, Tutoring, Internship (Placement), Clinical Exercise, Art Workshop, Interactive learning, Study visits, Study / creation, project, creation, project. Etc.
The supervised and unsupervised workload per activity is indicated here, so that total workload per semester complies to ECTS standards.
Activity Workload/semester Lectures 39 Laboratory courses 26 Individual written assignments 15 Independent study 45 Course total 125 Student Evaluation
Description of the evaluation process
Assessment Language, Assessment Methods, Formative or Concluding, Multiple Choice Test, Short Answer Questions, Essay Development Questions, Problem Solving, Written Assignment, Essay / Report, Oral Exam, Presentation in audience, Laboratory Report, Clinical examination of a patient, Artistic interpretation, Other/Others
Please indicate all relevant information about the course assessment and how students are informed
· Submitted weekly assignments 20% of the final score
· Written exams at the end of the semester (multiple- choice questions) 80% of the final score
Students are aware of the process from the start of the semester and are constantly informed via the e-class platform.
- SUGGESTED BIBLIOGRAPHY
1. Food packaging, Bloukas I, Stamoulis Publ. (In Greek)
2. Food packaging, Papadakis S, Tziola Publ. (In Greek)
3. Food Packaging Technology. R. Coles, D. McDowell, M. Kirwan. Blackwell Publishing.
ANNEX OF THE COURSE OUTLINE
Alternative ways of examining a course in emergency situations
Teacher (full name): Athanasios Alexopoulos Contact details: email@example.com, 2552041169, e-class Supervisors: (1) No Evaluation methods: (2) Written assignments and final exercises Implementation Instructions: (3) Written assignments should be uploaded in e-class platform until the day of the final exams.
Final exams (multiple choice questions) will be accessible via e-class platform at the specific date and time.
In the case of difficulties with the platform, please contact Prof. Alexopoulos as soon as possible.
- Please write YES or NO
- Note down the evaluation methods used by the teacher, e.g.
- written assignment or/and exercises
- written or oral examination with distance learning methods, provided that the integrity and reliability of the examination are ensured.
- In the Implementation Instructions section, the teacher notes down clear instructions to the students:
- a) in case of written assignment and / or exercises: the deadline (e.g. the last week of the semester), the means of submission, the grading system, the grade percentage of the assignment in the final grade and any other necessary information.
- b) in case of oral examination with distance learning methods: the instructions for conducting the examination (e.g. in groups of X people), the way of administration of the questions to be answered, the distance learning platforms to be used, the technical means for the implementation of the examination (microphone, camera, word processor, internet connection, communication platform), the hyperlinks for the examination, the duration of the exam, the grading system, the percentage of the oral exam in the final grade, the ways in which the inviolability and reliability of the exam are ensured and any other necessary information.
- c) in case of written examination with distance learning methods: the way of administration of the questions to be answered, the way of submitting the answers, the duration of the exam, the grading system, the percentage of the written exam of the exam in the final grade, the ways in which the integrity and reliability of the exam are ensured and any other necessary information.
There should be an attached list with the Student Registration Numbers only of students eligible to participate in the examination.